Monday, January 19, 2015

The Conversion Story of Elder Brock Chad Hunter

My conversion really starts after I attended a Youth Fireside about the Pioneers. I asked myself if I had the faith to do what they did and I realized that at the time I did not have that kind of faith. I started to pay more attention in Seminary because I had questions about the Church and the Gospel. I felt the need to know for myself if all that I had been taught was true. I had a time of doubt where I did not know if I believed in the scriptures or in a Savior that knew me personally and loved me.
My Freshman Year in High School I met Robert Cooke. We took the same bus to school each day and we would talk for the 10 or 15 minutes before we arrived at the school building. Then during Sophomore Year we both attended SUCCESS Academy, an early-college high school. We had every class together and we became best-friends. Robert is not a member of the Church of Jesus Christ. His family is actually ex-FLDS. His father was excommunicated because he disagreed with Warren Jeffs. Robert´s family in general has problems with organized religion now, though they all believe in Christ. Robert and I would often discuss religious topics. I would explain what the Church teaches but because I did not have the spirit to help me and because of my own doubts I know I was not very convincing.
I started praying more and I asked if all that I had been taught over the years was true. One particular night I went outside on our trampoline and I looked up at the night sky. I said a prayer and I just felt sure that it was all true. I knew I had a Heavenly Father who loved me and I knew that Jesus Christ was my Savior. I still lacked knowledge about the gospel itself and I still had a few questions and doubts but I no longer doubted my testimony. I came to serve a mission in great part because I wanted to know how to better explain the gospel to Robert. I have not heard a word from him since before my Mission Farewell but I keep studying and I keep working with faith that one day I can help him accept the Gospel of Christ in his life.

There were certainly other faith and testimony building experiences in my life, and I had the help of a lot of people along the way, but these events in particular, along with my Patriarchal Blessing, are what helped me decide to serve a mission. My conversion is still ongoing.

No comments:

Post a Comment